Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why have precincts?

Precincts serve as the conduit to the populace. I cannot say that this method works in society today. Our needs have changed and people have little confidence or faith in anyone outside of their families, if there. However, I know that in a grassroots campaign nothing works better than going door to door and asking, "What can the Party do for you? How do you see things here in your neighborhood? Oh! You'd like a sidewalk? I'll ask Dan Besse to give you a call about that." Things that touch their lives. Then, when Dems show progress/concern/results, Dems win. On the ground politics work. It helps to have someone from the neighborhood (precinct officer) with you. People may know them. I say "may" because so often these days, neighbors do not know neighbors. By having a political unit at the voting place level, selecting judges and Chief judges for elections is easier because they know who might be the one to ask. Intimacy in the form of politics cannot be done at higher levels. TV & the Internet don't get it. There is nothing like having a purpose in a small group of people to make politics take on new meaning... i.e. friendships, the op to serve others, the op to be patriotic and to show one's appreciation for the freedoms we enjoy. Also, I have found that the smaller the group the less people think that somebody else can do "it."

The "Publicans" have only one (1) person in charge of a precinct. That person is called a captain. No need to hold a meeting to organize. No need for officers. Sounds like "Top Down" politics to me and totally lacks openness. Matilda

1 comment:

Brain said...

Thanks for the post, Matilda. I was elected chair tonight after we managed to just barely get five folks for a quorum. I'm looking forward to building a strong precinct, and I've already identified one way to build enthusiasm. I'll be looking to you and other local leaders for guidance.

I think you're right. Government of, for, and by the people must come from the grassroots. And we don't want to be like the Me First, You Never party in any way!